Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tasty Soup Recipe

I came across this soup recipe on Pinterest and thought I would give it a shot.  So yesterday, as the wind was howling and the snow was blowing I got myself together and tried this tasty soup recipe.  And let me tell you it did not disappoint!


Here is the picture as it appeared on Pinterest...

tomato basil parmesan soup - in the crockpot. SO good!  Use Cuisinart pulverizer so kids/husbands don't know they're eating veggies.  Bisque - like consistency.  Serve with plenty of bread. 

Because I was so hungry Babycakes was ready to eat, I didn't take a picture of the finished product but I can assure you the Pinterest picture is pretty accurate.


Because I'm such a visual person I thought I would walk you through this fairly easy recipe.  The most difficult time consuming part was chopping up all of the veggies for this soup.

Begin with 2 (14 ounce) cans of diced tomatoes (I used Hunt's fire roasted tomatoes with garlic)

 20130306093846.jpg

Next you will need 1 cup of finely chopped celery.

 
One cup finely chopped carrots...


...and one cup finely chopped onion.


Next you will need 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon of dried basil and 1 bay leaf (You can use fresh herbs but who has time to grow their own herbs these days?  Not this girl!)




(As a side note, don't you just LOVE the milk glass spice containers? They were my Mom's that she used in the kitchen when I was growing up)  Anywho, you will also need 4 cups of chicken broth.  I used 4 cups of water with bouillon cubes because that's what I had on hand.)



Dump everything into your Crock-Pot and stir.  This is so easy a child could do it.  Seriously!


Now, cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours.  I chose 6 since it was between 5 and 7.


After the time is up, about 45 minutes before you want to eat you'll need to start this next part.

Prepare a roux (Don't let this freak you out!  It's just French for butter and flour.  I promise!)  Melt 1/2 a cup of butter over low heat in a large skillet.  Then, whisk in 1/2 cup of flour a little at a time trying to keep lumps at a minimum. 


The recipe said to stir constantly with a whisk for 5 to 7 minutes.  I stirred constantly until it started to bubble.  Then you need to gradually stir in 1 cup of the soup from the crock pot.  Then add another 3 cups and stir until smooth.  Then dump it all back into the Crock Pot.  Add 1 cup of Parmesan cheese, 2 cups of warmed half and half, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.  Cook on low another 30 minutes.

I don't know that I would cook this as a "quick meal"  but it is some kind of yum!  I was going to serve it with bread that I whipped up in my bread machine but due to user error we improvised with sandwich rounds that were toasted in the oven with some cheddar cheese.

A Pinterest success perfect for a snowy evening!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment