Saturday, July 13, 2013

Conference and Vacation

This past week, the hubs and I went to Williamsburg, Virginia for a conference.  As teachers we have lots to keep up with and the Virginia Department of Education sponsored a fantastic series of workshops for us to attend.  It's not often that professional development is this good.  And while we were busy "being professional" my Mom (a.k.a. Grammy) came along to take care of Babycakes while we were in sessions all day.  Our first night there we took Babycakes to Duke of Gloucester street to run some pent up energy she had from the long car ride.  It was also night for us to get out and get some fresh air.

Babycakes caught sight of some horses grazing in a field and was mesmerized.  This kid seriously loves some animals.  Which makes me happy because I love (most) animals too.


Babycakes also LOVES her Grammy.  She has stayed with my mom at least 2 days a week since she was born and she is for sure Grammy's girl.  They have a very special relationship and I am so happy they do because my mom is the BEST!




I'm not usually in the pictures because I'm usually the ones taking the pictures!  But the Hubs was able to take some this time. :-)  Thanks honey!


We also had some fun trying on all of the hats in one of the gift shops.




Babycakes even found somewhere to play a quick round of peek-a-boo!


I'm not sure how many of you have been to Williamsburg, but it really is a wonderful place to visit.  I hate that we didn't have more time to visit but am so thankful for the brief time I did have.  One of the things I love to photograph and admire are gardens.  (Not sure that sentence is grammatically correct.  :-/ )  The gardens in Williamsburg are amazing.



I love the little white out building in the back!

And such an ingenious idea for climbing veggies!

What a lovely place for a book and glass of sweet tea!



And just so you all don't think it was all fun and no work, here is a picture of me and the Hubs with Harry and Rosemary Wong.  For those of you who aren't in education these names probably mean nothing to you.  I think the Hubs put it best, "Harry Wong is to education what Johnny Cash was to country music."


It may sound silly but this was one of the highlights of my 18 year career in education.  Such an honor to meet them.  They were so super sweet and even signed our copies of The First Days of School.  For those of you who are fans, the Wongs have written a new book called The Classroom Management Book that will be coming out this fall.  Can't wait to get my copy and read it!  (This is not a paid advertisement from Harry and Rosemary Wong, I am just a huge fan of them and their work!)

Anyway, I'm glad to be home after such a great trip.  Babycakes is trying to recover from a nasty cold and an ear infection that she came down with while we were gone.  I need to get some stuff done around the house.  August will be here before you know it and I'll be heading back to work.  I hope all of you have been enjoying the summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment